|Spinach, Beet Greens, and Ricotta Pie|
Spinach, Beet Green and Ricotta Pie
Crust (or use a 9" prepared pie crust)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal (we didn't have any so we used semolina flour instead)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 10 ounces of cooked spinach (I used beet greens as well)
- 8 ounces of mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 15 ounces of ricotta cheese (we used homemade)
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1/3 cup basil pesto (homemade from last summer)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ground pepper to taste
- Coat a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with cooking spray.
- Mix cornmeal and flour in a bowl. Add egg and butter and mix together. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until a dough ball forms. This will form a sticky mass of dough. Press into pan. If dough is too sticky, add a little cornmeal.
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the chopped onion in the butter until very soft and translucent, about 12 minutes. Mix in the spinach and other greens.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the spinach/onion mixture and stir to combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Transfer filling to prepared pie crust. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes, until puffed and golden. Let stand at least 15 minutes before serving.