|Quinoa, Kale, and Sausage with Kale Chips|
2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
2 cups quinoa
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth (homemade so save those veggie scraps and chicken carcasses)
1lb sausage, chopped
2 cup chopped kale plus 3 kale leaves for chips
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese plus extra for topping, grated
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F
- Take kale leaves wash them, dry them and lay them on a baking sheet. Spray them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Put in oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes but check them often. Take them out when crisp.
- Rinse quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve and drain. In a medium sized pot, heat oil or butter and add chopped onions and garlic. Cook until golden. Add quinoa, toasting for about 3 minutes.
- Add broth and other seasonings (I used coriander and turmeric... just be creative). Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes until the liquid is gone.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet cook sausage. Add chopped kale, stirring until wilted. Turn off heat.
- Combine quinoa mixture with sausage mixture and parmesan cheese. Make any final seasoning adjustments. Sprinkle with kale chips and additional parmesan cheese. Enjoy.