Sunday, May 8, 2011

The First Week

From left to right:
Spinach, Collard Greens, Kale, and Beet Greens
This week my family got our first Early Spring vegetable share from Bell Organic CSA. I assume many other people did, so I am beginning to post recipes.  For those who don't know what a CSA is, it is Community Supported Agriculture, which means you pay in advance for part of a farmer's total crop.  This week in our CSA we got beet greens, collard greens, kale, spinach, salad greens, and green onions.   For the greens just make salads. You can come up with your own recipes as well! I encourage it!

Most of all, try not to waste anything. Sometimes these fresh veggies come so fast that you don't have time to cook them all up! I am learning what veggies are coming in season and had already selected the recipes I wanted to try before we picked up the CSA share.  Next week, I will post easy pizza and frittata recipes that go with just about anything type of cheese and vegetable and are great for leftovers.  For frittatas you simply saute your leftover vegetables and then throw in some cheese and/or meat in with some eggs and cook them up.  For pizza you do the same except with dough and pizza sauce.  These are both great things to make if you have anything leftover.  Feel free to make either one of these any day of the week.  They are great for busy families!

If you get anything in your CSA that you need a recipe for,  contact me and I will post one! Enjoy your first week of fresh vegetables!

No comments:

Post a Comment