Saturday, January 7, 2012

French Toast

Ah, French toast! A classic breakfast made local! Personally, I have loved french toast for a long time, especially when I would wake up to my stepdad making it in the morning.  Now my mom and I have made our own local version with Vosen's Bakery bread serving as the light, fluffy base of this meal.  It is extremely delicious, but any other bread that is nice and soft as well as tasty will work perfectly. The bread isn't the only part that makes it delicious, the syrup helps as well.  I personally love Pioneer Valley raspberry syrup and my mom loves the blueberry syrup, but anything you desire will taste great on top.  Enjoy this simple and delicious meal and don't forget to eat local this winter.


Ingredients:

1/2 loaf Roman Filoni Bread from Vosen's Bakery (Liberty Heights Fresh), cut into 1/2-inch slices
6 eggs Clifford Family Farm
2/3 cup milk (Winder Farms)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Salt (Redmond Sea Salt)
1 tsp honey
Butter (Winder Farms)
Syrup or jam (Pioneer Valley Fancy Syrups)

1. Whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon and honey in a wide bowl. Soak both sides of bread slices in the egg mixture.
2. Heat a lightly buttered non-stick skillet over medium heat until hot.
3. Place soaked slices in warm skillet and cook until both sides are a golden brown. Serve hot.

Options
---We cook many slices on the weekend, let them cool and then place them in a plastic bag, with wax paper between each slice, in the freezer. Then during the school week, I take out a slice or two and place them in our toaster at the highest temperature. Then, I have fresh french toast during the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment