Wednesday, October 5, 2011
Swiss Chard and Sausage Strata
1 pound sausage (Red Wine from Colosimo)
2 shallots, finely chopped (Downtown Farmers Market)
1 bunch Swiss Chard (Bell Organic)
1/4 cup homemade chicken broth (or water if you don't have broth)
1 day old baguette, cut into 1/2-inch chunks (Crumb Brothers)
2 & 1/2 cups 2% milk (Winder Farms)
7 large eggs, lightly beaten (Clifford Family Farms)
1 cup shredded cheese (take your pick from all our local purveyors)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and break up meat with wooden spoon as it cooks. Transfer to a small bowl once cooked through.
3. Add 1 tsp. additional oil, if needed, to skillet. Add shallots and chard stems and cook, stirring frequently until shallots are translucent. Add chicken broth to pan, and cook, stirring up any browned bits from the skillet. Add chard leaves and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted. Add sausage back to the pan and season with salt and pepper if needed.
4. Sprinkle half the sausage and chard mixture in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Top with the bread, overlapping the pieces (save a few pieces of bread for the final layer). Top with remaining sausage and chard mixture. In large bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs, season with salt and pepper and pour over the top. Add additional slices of bread and press down firmly to make sure all the bread is submerged and the milk and egg mixture is distributed evenly. Cover dish tightly with foil and let sit at least 10 minutes or overnight (stratas are always better if they sit overnight and let the flavors blend together).
5. Bake, covered, for 45 minutes.
6. Uncover and sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake until the cheese melts or about 7-10 minutes.
7. Let cool for 10 minutes to allow the strata to set.
serves 6-8 as main meal
Posted by Bianca W. at 7:00 PM